Thursday, May 2, 2013

NCN - 5/1/13

Last night was New Comic-book night.  I stopped by the comic shop and picked up one new comic, and one trade paperback:



On the left is the Supergirl - Beyond Good and Evil trade paperback.  This reprints Supergirl vol. 5 issues 23-27.  With this trade, I now have the first 28 issues of that series (0-28) either in trade or individual comic form.  It will be a little while before I read it... I still have to read the TPB before this one (Identity), as well as issues 20-22, first.

The only new comic I got in the shop last night was issue 1 of Gail Simone's new DC project, The Movement.  I read this last night, and I have to say I was a little disappointed.  The story was OK, but not up to Gail's usual Batgirl standards.  The plot was very disjointed, and the story jumped all over the place. I'm not clear on who the main characters even are yet, or who the good guys and bad guys are.  It was all very murky and more than a little confusing.  In fact if they hadn't told me Gail wrote it, I'd have more readily guessed this was a product of the fevered mind of Grant Morrison.  It was nowhere near as disjointed as his stories, but it had a bit of that feel to it.

I'm hoping this is a temporary condition, and that after 2 or 3 more issues I will be able to see where Gail is going with this.  If so, then I will stick with it. If not, then I will not be adding it to my pull list.

The way The Movement is told, as a first-issue story, reminds me of many other issue 1 stories I have read since coming back to comics, and I am starting to see a pattern here.  I don't have time to write about it tonight, but I will make that pattern the subject of my next longer article.

No comments:

Post a Comment